Sometime I really miss how easy life was growing up. Dinner was always ready, long summer vacations, and the excitement of Christmas.
Top 10 favorite memories
1 Summer Vacation. Each summer my mother would send us up to our grandparents cottage at Houghton Lake. There was no other place my sisters and I would rather be. Months of warms sunny weather and floating in the lake morning to dark.
2. TV shows and Movies: Saved by the bell, Fresh Prince of Belair, TGIF on Friday nights, Goonies, Harry and the Hendersons, Monsters under my bed.
3. Snow: Do you remember those days? We would play for hours in the snow. sledding, making snowmen, snowball fight, tobogganing
4. Riding the Bus: At the time we HATED riding the bus. But it is a fun memory. When we say the lights in the morning coming down the hill we would all rush out the door yelling “BUUSSSSSS” for all the neighbor kids to come running.
5. Sports: A few years ago I blew out my right shoulder. Havent played since. But I was really good at Shot Put and decent at Volleyball.
6. 84′ caprice classic: Each of my sisters drove this car when we were in high school. We named her the Blue Bessy and she was nondestructive! We would fit four comfortably across the front bench seat and five across the back. That car rocked!
7. Pets: We grew up with a lot of pets. Dogs, Cats, Chickens, Ponies…. Living on a farm are memories that I will also cherish. We used to have hundreds of chickens that would roam free. Which meant they were everywhere. In the trees, they would sneak in the porch, some even made it into the house.
8. Sharing a room: This was torture growing up. “Stay on your side” and “Where is my favorite shirt”. Now I can’t wait until I am together with my sisters again. I alway smile when I think of the penny fights in the middle of the night.
9. Trips to Florida: Every Easter break we would load the car and we would drive to Florida to see our Grandparents. From Michigan it was about 21 hours. We would usually get to take off an extra week when we went. By the second day on the sun we had to wear our t-shirts we would be so sun burnt.
10. Sleepovers: Literally every weekend we would have a house full of 15+ girls. Since there were 4 of us we each would a handful of friends over. My dad would just go to his room and we would take over the house. We would move all the mattress into the living room, get tons of junk food, and rent cheesy movies.
Though I miss the good old days. I got it pretty good now. Still have my parents farm (only one chicken left), when my sisters come into town we have sleepovers. We still head to Houghton Lake in the summer and head to Florida for a short stay in the winter to to see our wonderful Grandmother. We sold the Caprice, but my dad swears he still see it on the road.
What are some of your favorite childhood memories?
xoxo – Elizabeth