I was reading an old “US” Magazine today and I came across an article about celebrity diets. One in particular caught my attention, the Mediterranean diet. On this diet you snack on things like olives, cheese, fresh seafood, whole grain bread and the best part about this diet is that drinking wine is a main component! A diet full of cheese, olives and wine? Sounds like my kind of situation! I decided to cook a simple Mediterranean inspired meal tonight so I could have an excuse to poor myself a nice glass of wine (hey, its part of the diet!)
I searched through some cookbooks and came across Greek-Style Shrimp Sauté
What you’ll need:
Olive Oil 2 TBS
Vinaigrette 2 TBS
1 ½ LBS peeled shrimp (I don’t like de-gunking shrimp so I bought it already peeled)
1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
12 chopped Kalamata Olives
1/3 cup Feta Cheese
1 cup Mushrooms cut up (optional, I like mushrooms so I included them)
Serve over rice (I chose Couscous… it’s my new obsession)
1. Heat large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 TBS EVOO and 1 TBS Vinaigrette and Shrimp – Cook Shrimp until done (Pink)
2. Remove shrimp from pan and add mushrooms first and 1 TBS EVOO and 1 TBS Vinaigrette. Add tomatoes and cook until heated.
3. Remove pan from heat, add shrimp again and sprinkle with Feta cheese
4. Serve over rice
My boyfriend loved this dish. He is so proud of me and my new adventure in cooking! Be sure to try this meal out and don’t forget to have a nice glass of wine with it!
After an amazing holiday season full of so many treats, filling meals and let’s be honest, far too many beverages then I really needed to drink it’s time to padlock the pantry and get down to business. To make things even more serious my boyfriend and I are going to Mexico in three months… there is no extra time to push off the inevitable it’s time to start the diet.
From what I’ve heard and experienced through the tightness of my pants eating out isn’t the healthiest past time. Lucky for me my New Year resolution is to start cooking! So my meal #1 comes straight from a Weight Watchers cook book. I have never done Weight Watchers but my parents have and I have seen first-hand the amazing results. So here it goes my first meal I made was Sesame Chicken, Broccoli and Couscous (like fancy rice I guess?).
My Boyfriend is still spending time with his family for the holidays so lucky for him he was not a test rat for my first kitchen attempt.
To my surprise my meal was delicious, low in calories, nutritious and SO easy to make.
If you are looking for a light, SUPER easy meal that tastes amazing and you can whip up in a jiffy follow these steps:
First you’ll need a few ingredients:
2 TBS Sesame Seeds
4 Chicken Breasts
2 TBS Honey
2 TBS reduced sodium Soy Sauce
½ TSP ground ginger
Box of Cous-Cous
For the Chicken:
1. In a non-stick skillet spray with cooking spray and lightly toast sesame seeds
2. Heat up two TBS of EVOO in a new skillet, cut up chicken breast into small strips and place them on the skillet, cook 3 minutes on each side or until chicken is lightly browned
3. Combine toasted sesame seeds, honey, soy sauce and ginger; pour over chicken, and cook 1 additional minute, turning chicken to coat with sauce
1. Cut it up
2. Through it in a bowl ¼ full of water
3. Microwave on high for around 4 minutes
1. Buy at grocery store
2. Follow directions on box
Such a yummy meal and it was SO easy. Maybe I’m not that clueless in the kitchen?!